T-REX Chige by Teresa Fujimoto
Teresa Fujimoto, 2011 Country Stew Cook-off Winner!! She dazzled the judges with her ‘hangover’ stew called T-Rex Chige. In second place, Jayson Tsukayama, with his Hamburger Stew. And in third, Denise Blas Phillips, with her Pastele Stew Local Style.
There were 15 entries this year and all stood up to the challenge. Aunty Fay’s Local Style Beef Stew was the solid beef stew entry. But there were a lot of creative recipes like Jawaiian Stew, Kabocha Pumpkin Stew with Nametake Musubi, and Vietnamese Osso Bucco Stew with Tagliatelle. WOW! Thank you to all who entered and weathered through the rain!! If you are interested in entering next year, look for details in the month of September 2012.
2 lb pork belly
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour
1 lb kimchee -any supermarket brand
1 cup water
2 14.5 oz. cans of chicken broth
1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
2 tbsp kimchee base
1 heaping tbsp of Kochujang (Korean red chili pepper paste)
3 stalks of green onion
1 block firm tofu
1/2 lb clams
8 oz. crab meat
1. Cut pork into bite size pieces and brown. Remove pork from pot when done but leave the pork fat for the roux
2. Add butter to the pork fat then stir in flour until it thickens
3. Rough chop the kimchee and add to the pot along with water, chicken broth, red chili pepper flakes, kimchee base, and Kochujang sauce.
4. Slice onion and green onions and add to the pot.
5. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until pork is tender
6. Cut tofu into 1 inch cubles and add to pot
7. Add clams and crab meat (save some for garnish) then continue to simmer until clams open
8. All Pau!! Serve with rice.
Category : Past Events Posted on October 30, 2011